Wednesday, January 29, 2014

Music Monday

Another week has come again. This time around I am in Vancouver for coursework. I have friends who live very close to downtown. Today I am enjoying the sunshine and trying to get ahead in some homework.

This the major theme was identity markers. What identity markers do you use to describe yourself and which ones have changed most over time? In my short lifetime I have identified as Caucasian, male, heterosexual, Christian, son, grandson, brother, friend, uncle, husband, child, adolescent, adult, student, employee, student again, fisherman, single, married, athlete, musician, writer, traveler... etc. etc. What is fascinating is that even if I describe myself using one of these identifies it is not very descriptive. My identity then rests in the interpretation of the individual I am describing myself to and their experiences with individuals who use similar identifiers. That, to me, means that when I identify as something I represent that group and that I am assuming the responsibility of representing that group fairly.

Another thing that stuck out to me about identity is how complex it is. There are identifiers that have changed greatly for me such as athlete, traveler, or uncle but there are identifiers that don't change about me such as Caucasian or male. However, even though these identifiers do not change about me they themselves change. Being male today is not the same as being male fifty years ago and it will not be the same fifty years from now. Identity development is a dynamic rather than static system because we cannot remain static. We are constantly changing and adapting to new situations in life. Our very thoughts can bring about change for us! I think that this is a marvelous part of life and I think without it I would get very bored.

A few weeks back I posted a full DJ set and I finally found one of the songs I was looking for. This is Bonobo with the song 'Cirrus'





Until next time, identify yourself!

EO

1 comment:

  1. Would the real flim lady please stand up, please stand up, please stand up. Me. Daughter. Loud exclaimer. Exuberant champion. Idealist. Friend. Wife. Sister. Mother of babies. Mother of toddlers. Mother of little boys.

    Love you, brudder.

    ReplyDelete