Monday, February 3, 2014

Music Monday

Remember the feeling of being completely overwhelmed with the amount of information you were receiving? I did not feel that this week. It was the week of residency for me which means I was in Vancouver and had classes from Wednesday to Sunday from 8am-5pm. That is a lot to pack in.

Here is a brief list of areas we talked about this week:

Freudian Theory of Ego and I (apparently there was a mistake translating what was supposed to be "I" into "Id").
Psyhoanalysis
The role of the counselor's "self" within therapy
Dealing with sexism, racism, ageism, etc.
Attachment Theory
The Primacy of Emotion in human lives
Vulnerability
Existential Psychology

One thing that really stuck with me is a description of anxiety. Anxiety is like an alarm bell going off inside of us but we do not know immediately what it is connected to, it is not as easy as a fire alarm. Often we are given the impression that anxiety or feeling anxious is a negative thing but the reality is that it has a purpose. It is telling us that something needs to change. It is this premise that has caused some people to say that anxiety requires creativity and courage. When we examine the cause of the alarm and we are creative in our response then the alarm usually goes away. If we try to ignore or numb the feeling the alarm will do its job by becoming louder.

This is the Mountain Goats with "Love love love"


Until next time do the things for love love love.

1 comment:

  1. I love this new spin on Music Monday. It's like the weekly check-in. And I love hearing from you. Tell Ash to get on that! I miss her. And while you're at it . . . tell me too. Sheeeeesh.

    It is so interesting to think about anxiety and anxiousness. Alarm bells. Yes. That makes complete sense to me. Usually when I'm feeling anxious, it means I need to out-process whatever-it-is that is bothering me OR I need to pause and identify the course of action I need to take to resolve the issue. Alarm bell. It is definitely an unpleasant feeling though.

    Intriguing. You are neck-deep in so much interesting stuff!

    ReplyDelete