Tuesday, September 17, 2013

School again

I attended a school orientation this weekend in Vancouver. I felt very encouraged. The program is focused on creating successful clinical counselors and has a very good reputation for this in the community. All faculty are required to be currently practicing counselors and many of the current faculty we were introduced to are prolific within the counseling community. I was impressed to see the variety of personalities, interests, and specialties the faculty and alumni possessed as well as the individuals in my program. The school shies away from the student/professor ideology of teach and prefers more the trainee/supervisor model with the end goal of being colleagues once we graduate. I thought this was a good way to look at it.

Another focus of the program that I thought was very good was the quality of peer to peer learning. We were encouraged to heavily invest in the other program participants during our time and after. This of course comes with a degree of difficulty as many students know the chaos that group projects bring but I think it is a good learning tool, especially in a field that is highly focused on human relationships. There are about 13 people in the group and there were funny connections between some people. I knew one ladies husband from my time at CBC and others knew this person or that person etc.

I my first day of classes will be on September 28. I am still not quite sure to expect but I am excited to get going.

No comments:

Post a Comment