Monday, September 23, 2013

Music Monday

I listened to CBC radio's "The Signal" yesterday and within 20 minutes I stumbled upon the following song and band. I have hardly stopped listening to it in the past 24 hours; whether playing it over the computer or in my mind I have hardly stopped listening to it. I forgot that The Signal does that for me, that I can be innocently killing time by listening when suddenly I am thrust into full blown song mania. Love it.

The band Typhoon is an Oregon based band with a unique and unfortunate quality; the lead singer is dying. As a child he contracted Lyme disease and spent his entire adolescence unconscious, in hospital, medicated, etc. His father donated a kidney to him and now that is failing too. A quote from a letter the lead singer wrote to his fans:

        When we started working on White Lighter, I had reason to believe that it would be the last
        thing I ever did. It is now six months since being finished. I'm still here and there is still work
        to be done.

The reality of the lead singer has lead to a driving and introspective style. The intensity of lyric, pace, and imagery is impressive and, to me, a joy to listen to. It is refreshing to hear.

This is Typhoon with Artificial Light:
Until next time, keep getting bigger too. EO

No comments:

Post a Comment