Monday, April 1, 2013

The Bus

We are alive and well in Vientiane. The bus was quite a singular experience; even from Thailand buses. The sleeper bus means that it is made for sleeping. There are no seats, only bunks. The bus has one aisle. Ladders run to the top bunks with the bottom bunks situated directly underneath. The best part is that there are two spots per bunk so if you're traveling alone you will be forced become rather closely acquainted with a stranger.

We had the pleasure to be at the very front of the bus in the top bunk looking down onto the road ahead of us. While this provided a great view it also meant that we shared our bunk with two German girls and our bunk was also about a foot shorter than the rest. Though it was cramped I thoroughly enjoyed the ride.

The meal provided was a 2:30am stopover where dazed tourists stumbled off the bus determined to get the full dollar value of their purchase. Pho soup is yummy no matter what time of day and soon with still glazed eyes and now full bellies we climbed back to our bunks and prepared for another 4-5 hours.

I was transported in memory to our family trips to Minnesota when my father would make a bed out of the suitcases in the back of the van and I would watch the moon move back and forth through the windows. Then the thought of why aren't these popular in North America followed by the realization that laying without safety harnesses violates a few laws in some places. After these I set up my faithful sleep aid; Radioheads Kid A album (which has put me to sleep the majority of nights for almost ten years) and floated down the Liffey.

Three hours later I awoke with the sunrise and an hour after that we arrived in Vientiane. A most pleasant experience.

2 comments:

  1. "Everything in it's right place."

    Miss you dear friends, safe travels, come home soon. <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Holy smokes . . . sharing a bunk with someone you didn't know. Ugh. That could be mighty freaky. I remember the "bed" in the back of the van too. I believe that is where we were laying when I tricked you with the old, "There's Grandpa!" on the freeway.

    In other reflections, I want some Pho and I want it now.

    ReplyDelete