Saturday, January 19, 2013

Moving on

We caught the bus from Riobamba to Banos this morning. We spent our last days in Riobamba at the orphanage, visiting with friends, and watching the Big Bang Theory.

The orphanage we went to called The Ark. It currently has around forty children which is lower numbers than usual. The children were a few weeks old to age 18. We mostly found ourselves with the toddlers and babies as the other age groups were busy doing homework or were able to entertain themselves.

It only took a few moments for the young ones to warm up to us. One of them immediately walked up to us and gave the universal sign of "pick me up". I don't know if we were able to put him down after that. I was constantly in trouble the first day for having too many children in the air at once, rocketing children in the air holding their hands instead of their waists, and having too many children in a dog pile. I am glad I was told not to as well because I would not have survived those activities with that many relentless children on hand.

On our last day we met with Jesse and Maria at Andaluza's, a deli. They cure their own meats as well as make their own bread, mayo, and other sauces. I mentioned before that familiarity is a wonderful thing and food is no exception to that statement. I have a fervent love for sandwiches and these were a welcome treat. Couple sandwiches with good conversation and it made for a lovely afternoon.

We are now in Banos which is a tourist spot but so far we really like it. There is a very positive feeling to this town with a lot of activities. I will post more later.

Photo: Ashley and I at Andaluza with Jesse and Maria. Yum.

3 comments:

  1. Very cool, everybody looks great! God bless all of you ,
    Heidi M

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like a great place to visit, keep on keepin on!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow! Looks like you two are having a blast! All your bus ride stories take me back to Josh and me travelling in Europe, and also me and you going through Africa, Ash. Thanks for the blog! Kept me entertained catching up with it on my nights last night. Keep the photos coming!
    Miss you. Love Kels
    Ps. Erik, your hair is so long!

    ReplyDelete