Wednesday, December 19, 2012

the time ashley almost died

Hello again. It was quite late when I posted last night and I found myself drifting off to sleep, much like the car that was drifting off the road. Here are a couple more tidbits of information that Ashley and I found to be some of the highlights of the event.

First of all the driver had a few classic quotes that clarified the incident. Ashley said she saw him a minute prior to the accident zooming past us and thought "That dummy is going to get in an accident." After he all was said and done he articulated what had happened inside the car this way "I felt the mother f*$%er lose traction and start drifting toward the snow bank so I slammed the f*%$ing breaks as hard as I could." Sigh...

The most exciting part after the accident was hanging out just between the old toll booth and the great bear snow shed for forty minutes. It was two lanes, icy, and cold. I herded the group from standing by the crashed vehicle to standing in front of our car that was parked and had its hazard lights on. I didn't feel comfortable exposed on an icy highway but we were waiting for a tow-truck or emergency response or just anything.

At one point Ashley was in the car warming up while myself and the two others were standing in front of my car. I was annoyed with how few people even tried to slow down. I was even more annoyed (and terrified) when I saw that a semi-truck had applied his breaks to slow down and was now drifting sideways towards the vehicle that Ashley was in.

It was interesting to see the situation register on Ashley's face. I shouted her name to warn her of the danger and she looked up at me and then turned to look out the back window. She saw the semi's trailer sliding toward her and she was out of the car and climbing up the snow bank before I could shout for her to stay in the car (I don't know what was safest).

Luckily the truck straightened out; skidding to a stop just after our vehicle. I may have shouted something at him that wasn't very supportive of his driving skills.

In the end we were all safe and sound but it was an exciting ride.

3 comments:

  1. Eek! Glad you made it down here safely.

    ReplyDelete
  2. YOU GUYS HAVEN'T EVEN LEFT CANADA YET. QUIT BEING IN DANGER AND GO EAT SOME DELICIOUS BUGS.
    I love you both! Stay safe <3

    ReplyDelete