Monday, May 12, 2014

Music Monday!

Well hello there. Guess what... its Music Monday! I've been neglecting you, I'm sorry. I've had songs picked out for the past few weeks but when it came to Monday I just... didn't... post. What's wrong with me? I'll sum it up for you: I'm afraid that I'm losing my resilience when it comes to school anxiousness. I was way up there very early this quarter. Strangely, at the same time, I feel more confident in my abilities, organization, and abilities. Of course that can change on a whim but I'll take it intermittently. I've got three more papers to complete in four weeks and I am only looking forward to one of them.

Here is a bit of a school update. This quarter I have two new courses; Psycho-pharmacology and psychopathology and Brief Therapy models. Both of these courses have been very intriguing and helpful. In psycho-pharmacology we've been running through the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM) 5. It is interesting to see what actually goes into a proper diagnosis and the requirements that symptoms have to meet before they are considered a disorder. It is also interesting to hear that the DSM was created to unify the language that Psychiatrists use when talking about mental illness. The most important thing I think that I've learned is that the DSM is a tool that, when used properly, is helpful in naming mental illness and how to be helpful to someone who is diagnosed. Unfortunately we sometimes think that the only tool we need in a tool belt is a hammer and when that happens everyone starts to look like a nail (somebody important said that, its a quote...).

Brief therapy models are also interesting. The most important thing that I've learned is that focusing on the problem someone is facing may not be all that helpful. We are constantly facing problems and constantly creating solutions to them. We are actively engaged in problem solving every day and often we need to be reminded of that. It is important to understand how we are already solving a problem and do more of that. Cool stuff really.

Here's a weird one today. This one is dedicated to Mon Capitan MP. Mostly because its performed in a fishing boat but also because of the volume of problems to solve in Alaska in only a 3 week period.  This is Cosmo Sheldrake with "The Fly"


Until next time, are you a happy fly? If you live or if you die?

EO

No comments:

Post a Comment