Sunday, August 25, 2013

Our Fifth Anniversary!

It was our fifth anniversary yesterday. Five! Time continues to show its dynamic qualities. When I look back at our five years it seems to have passed by fast but, when I think hard and squint my eyes just enough, I can think back to when I was looking forward from five years ago. I can remember thinking of five years from then as unfathomable; not in quantity but in experience. There was potential for every possibility. Nothing was clear because there were so many possibilities clouding the path as if each were a pane of glass placed one behind the other slowly distorting all vision.

Now I have a unique view of the past five years. I can see both the future from the past and the past from the future. I can look from all points to one point and from one point to all points. Each of these informs the others with its own unique texture and they are all linked together like keys on a ring. Each softly and continuously repeats its story to me, waiting for something to push my attention toward it.

Today my attention is pushed to the past five years. I examine the events individually and I feel the textures they possess both pleasant and painful, significant and menial. I hear the stories and they collectively affirm that, in Ashley, I made a good decision.

1 comment: