Saturday, May 18, 2013

Lemonchello, Reading, Transition

Lemonchello. Ever heard of it? It is a lemon liqueur made in Italy and served after a meal as a digestive. I tried some yesterday because of all things on this tiny island there is a couple from Italy that owns a restaurant. I'm usually not too fond of Italian restaurants. The food is usually either too greasy or just a boring tomato-based concoction that brings only one flavor to my taste buds. This was different. This was delicious. So much so that it changed my perspectives.

After our restaurant experience we walked back to our guest house in the dark. We met a confused looking Englishman who asked us how to get to the water. I found it to be a curious question because we are on a tiny Island. Ten minutes walk in any direction leads to the water here. "How do you get lost on a tiny Island" I said to Ashley. Ten minutes later... we weren't lost, we just didn't know where we were. It was actually uneventful as we just followed the path our road turned into south until we popped out into a field we recognized not five minutes from our guesthouse.

In three weeks I will be on a plane to Canada while Ashley flies to Australia. This time frame has provided a degree of motivation to keep going. It is strange to think of our time as moving toward and ending instead of moving away from a beginning. It will be a welcome change to begin again. Ashley and I are both very happy with the fact that, despite where we have been and what we have seen, it has only shown us how much we enjoy life at home. Though I lament being removed from the opportunities travel provides, I am content to resume a less mobile life. I have no fear in the transition.

I suppose I will also regret losing the freedom to read without interruption from other responsibilities. In the past two months I have read: Hard Times, The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn, The Ciderhouse Rules, The Old Man and the Sea, The Quiet American, The Fallen Idol/The Third Man, The Imaginary Girlfriend, For Whom the Bell Tolls, The Catcher In the Rye, Born To Run, and The Great Gatsby as an audiobook. Thats more than I have ever read before and I am enjoying every minute of it. I don't want it to stop actually but I know that my ability to do continue such a pace will meet head on with life responsibilities and distractions. I have also learned that I need to add some contemporary books in between my friends in classic literature. It actually helps build momentum.

It is now too hot to write.

No comments:

Post a Comment