Saturday, February 9, 2013

Backpackers

We have been informed that it is different in other areas of the world but I wanted to take a moment to comment on the back packing culture. I have been very surprised by others who are travelling in a similar manner to us. The majority of travellers we have come across have been driven not by a desire to experience different cultures first-hand, visit historical sights, eat different foods, etc. The majority of travellers seem to want to experience those things in between the times that they are intoxicated. Finding the bars is the goal and many blow through budgets months earlier than anticipated.

There is also a large contingent of subcultures from different countries. We have seen what can only be described as the grunge culture from Argentina, England, Australia, Germany, The US, Canada, Holland, Switzerland, Sweden, Spain, Chile, and France. The one common thread between all the countries is to be as dirty in appearance as possible. Dreadlocks also abound naturally. Our first couple days in Canoa we saw three young men who were too perfect. A hollywood costumer could not have picked better outfits. The one was tall, lanky with dreadlocks and an ugly hawaiian shirt. The second was stockier with short hair and a folded bandana tied around his head. The third and my favorite wore a camouflage wide rim hat with the chin strap tightened and resting on the top of his chin, a thick moustache with soul patch and an uglier hawaiian shirt. It was priceless.

I have described what I have seen but I have also a few observations of things I have been puzzled to not see. Mostly the Russians. Where are the Russians? I have not met a single person from Russia traveling in South America. It could be that this continent is as of yet not a popular destination to some countries but I am actually puzzled as to why I have not met just one traveller from there yet. Puzzling.

One thing I have most enjoyed on our travels is eavesdropping. I greatly enjoy listening to other conversations; listening in to thoughts and opinions. I have not enjoyed the two most prominent word in the English language "like" and the expletive that starts with the letter "f". These words are used in much the same way, usually spoken every other word in a sentence and both are as unforgivable when used in this fashion.

A few observations.

No comments:

Post a Comment